You will lead our API incubation team, guiding Lex Machina’s customers in integrating their own internal data with Lex Machina’s industry-defining legal analytics. The API incubation team is responsible for prototyping, designing, building, deploying, and supporting the tools and products used by our API customers. Use your knowledge of API development best practices, deployment solutions, and cloud environments to create an industry first legal data platform. As a senior member of our broader product and engineering team, you will work with in-house legal experts, customers, and our design team to enhance our customers’ ability to make data-driven legal decisions. The Lead API Engineer will also be instrumental in the creation of a wider API team.
A Typical Week:
- Write code, commit it to our git repository, and ship it to production
- Collaborate with product managers and customers to create prototypes, conduct feasibility studies, and deploy legal analytics data tools
- Create, update, and maintain internal and external API documentation
- Collaborate with Natural Language Processing Engineers to decide how best to incorporate newly extracted information
- Spend time learning about new technologies to make the product faster and easier to use
- Have your code reviewed by other members of the engineering team, and you’ll review their code too
- You have been building data-centric software and APIs for 7+ years
- You think querying complex legal data using SQL databases and counting things could be fun
- You work well in a team-oriented organization due to your excellent communication skills and empathy
- You understand the stability required for business-to-business APIs.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, code academy, or work experience.
- PostgreSQL experience is great; SQLAlchemy understanding is fantastic
- ElasticSearch experience is great; some understanding of inverted indexes (Lucene) is recommended.
- Technical writing experience.
Compensation & Benefits:
We offer competitive compensation and full benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with matching, modern family leave including 14 weeks of paid time off for new children, short and long term disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, and more.
This position is available in our Menlo Park, CA office headquarters, or in one of our engineering team clusters in Dallas TX, Denver CO, Sebastopol CA, or Singapore. Fully remote arrangements are possible.
How to Apply:
Please apply online at https://relx.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/relx/job/Menlo-Park-CA/Lead-API-Engineer_R18689.
Lex Machina is an equal opportunity employer. Employment here is based solely upon merit and qualification for the job. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will also make all reasonable efforts to meet our obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.