This is an opportunity to contribute domain expertise as a Legal Data Expert – Patent Law at a cutting-edge legal technology company. Lex Machina created the field of “Legal Analytics” and is still the fast-growing market leader for law firms and Fortune 500 companies who want to use data to guide their legal decision making.
Lex Machina has an opening for an experienced patent litigator interested in Legal Analytics datasets for federal district court and the Patent Trial and Appeals Board (PTAB). We need an avid Legal Data Expert – Patent Law to maintain high value datasets, contribute to customer communications, and provide thought leadership.
- High value datasets:
- Analyze rulings in federal district court and at PTAB
- Work on an integrated product development team with engineers and other legal experts
- Become an authority on Lex Machina’s patent law data
- Adopt responsibilities for data integrity and innovation of new features
- Contribute to bringing Legal Analytics to new areas of patent law
- Customer communication:
- Act as a liaison for our customer success team when sophisticated user questions arise around patent data and Legal Analytics
- Provide prioritized feedback to the product team about new features and improvements given customer feedback and shifts in the practice of patent law
- Thought leadership:
- Identify strategic opportunities to showcase Lex Machina’s unique patent datasets
- Coordinate with the Lex Machina marketing team to create patent litigation focused content, webinars, and blog posts
- Champion Lex Machina’s Legal Analytics by presenting at conferences, publishing articles and creating videos
- Juris Doctor degree (JD)
- Intensive knowledge of US patent law including substantive law (Title 35 of the United States Code) and patent litigation procedures in US federal district courts and at PTAB
- 2+ years in a law firm or other professional services
- Motivated self-starter with a strong interest in data analysis
- Highly organized and can work independently to drive projects to completion
- Tech savvy with the ability to quickly learn new skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Admitted to practice law in the United States preferred; registered as a patent agent / patent attorney with United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) preferred
- Experience with working on a remote/virtual team is a plus
- Interest in trade secret law is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive compensation and full benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with matching, modern family leave including 14 weeks of paid time off for new children, short and long term disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, and more.
This position is available remote or in our Menlo Park, CA office headquarters.
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://relx.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/LexisNexisLegal/job/Home-based-California/Legal-Data-Expert—Patent-Law_R35173.
Lex Machina is an equal opportunity employer. Employment here is based solely upon merit and qualification for the job. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will also make all reasonable efforts to meet our obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.