Use your knowledge of Java and performance optimization to improve our information extraction systems which produce Lex Machina’s industry-leading data. Help us scale our systems as we bring Legal Analytics to all legal practice areas and state courts. As a member of our broader distributed product and engineering team, you will work with in-house legal experts, customers, and our design team to enhance our customers’ ability to make data-driven legal decisions. This will be a home-based position.
As a Staff Engineer on our NLP/algorithms team you will be responsible for the quality and accuracy of the data that drives the Lex Machina product. The team develops and maintains systems that extract entity information from court-filed metadata and PDFs which is then clustered and inter-linked to provide customers a unified view of each attorney, law firm, party, and judge’s activity across all supported courts. In addition to improving the reliability, performance, and robustness of these systems, you will also help us adopt state of the art AI, and machine learning techniques to create new ways of understanding what happens in litigation.
- You have been using modern Java (version 11 or later) to develop, debug, and deploy applications / services for 3+ years
- You have written code professionally for at least 5 years
- You think creating complex legal data and counting things could be fun
- You have experience with SQL and RDBMS design and query building
- You work well in a team-oriented organization due to your excellent communication skills and empathy.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, code academy, or work experience.
- Deployment experience with Ansible or Kubernetes or other Ops automation tools
- Natural Language Processing, document classification, information extraction, machine learning
- Experience with Elasticsearch / OpenSearch, Solr or Lucene
- Python expertise
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive compensation and full benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with matching, modern family leave including 14 weeks of paid time off for new children, short and long term disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, and more.
This position is available in our Menlo Park, CA office or remote.
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://relx.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/LexisNexisLegal/details/Staff-Engineer-Java-NLP—ML—AI-Systems_R41683.
Lex Machina is an equal opportunity employer. Employment here is based solely upon merit and qualification for the job. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will also make all reasonable efforts to meet our obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.