Legal Analytics for Delaware Chancery Court
The Delaware Court of Chancery is widely recognized as the nation’s preeminent forum for the determination of corporate and contractual disputes. Lex Machina’s Legal Analytics for The Delaware Court of Chancery provides valuable data-driven insights and trends into the unique characteristics of this important state court. Lex Machina’s data set includes civil actions in the Court of Chancery, which principally consist of complex corporate and commercial cases.
Lex Machina’s basic court data comes from the official eFiling system for the Delaware Court of Chancery. This basic data includes information such as case title, civil action number, judicial officer, parties, some counsel, and documents.
Lex Machina enhances this basic data in numerous ways using a variety of technologies and expert human oversight. This includes correcting various errors, from simple spelling mistakes to complex data problems; normalizing judicial officers, parties, law firms, and attorneys; extracting records of law firms and attorneys not found in the basic data; tagging and categorizing cases; annotating Case Resolutions, Damages, and Rulings; and more.
Unique Chancery Court Litigation Data
Cases in the Delaware Court of Chancery have two main categories, and several other filter criteria:
- Field of Law – Corporation Law; Real Property; Commercial Law; Trusts, Wills and Estates; Trade Secret/IP; Consent Trust Petitions; Partition; § 348 Deed Restrictions; Labor Law, Constitutional Law; Zoning; Administrative Law and more.
- Nature of Claim – Breach of Fiduciary Duties, Civil Action, Real Estate, Declaratory Judgment, Injunctive Relief, Complaint
– Inspection of Books & Records, Breach of Contract, Appraisal, Appointment of Receiver, Specific Performance, Quiet Title, Dissolution, Estate, and more.
- Damages – Compensatory Damages, Attorney’s Fees / Costs
- Rulings – Default Judgment, Judgment on the Pleadings, Summary Judgment, Bench Trial, Judgment as a Matter of Law
- Case Resolutions – Ruling on Petition: Petition Granted, Ruling on Petition: Petition Denied, Claimant Win, Claim Defendant Win, Likely Settlement, Procedural