Legal Analytics for Kings County Supreme Court
Kings County Supreme Court (“Kings County”) is a key court and an important venue for state court litigation. Located in Brooklyn, the most populous New York city borough (and second most populous county in the United States), Kings County serves a population of over 2.6 million citizens. It is a key court for civil cases involving torts, real property, and commercial matters. Lex Machina’s Legal Analytics for Kings County Supreme Court provides valuable data-driven insights and trends into the unique characteristics of this state court.
The Kings County state court module incorporates notable features such as filters for pre-RJI cases, post-RJI cases, and class action cases. It also incorporates an extensive collection of case types and document tags, including a case type filter for commercial division cases. The inclusion of these unique parameters enables users to find the most relevant information and analytics quickly and easily.
How We Work
Lex Machina gathers raw information from state court cases, including downloading millions of state court documents to present the most comprehensive and accurate data possible. We clean, tag, code, enhance, and present the resulting data in a way that makes it easy for you to quickly access insights and grasp trends that are relevant to the legal matter you’re working on.
How We Help
Whether you’re simply searching for a case or looking for more in-depth analytics, you can investigate a party’s litigation track record, assess a law firm’s experience in similar cases, observe patterns in judicial decisions, examine the range of damages awarded at trial or search docket entry text.
Advantages of state court analytics include:
- Understanding timing to key litigation milestones
- Analyzing the record of a specific judge, law firm, attorney, or party
- Reviewing previous trial resolutions, trial damages, and trial rulings for case strategy
- Refining with court-specific filters such as case types and case tags
- Keyword searching within docket entry text and downloaded documents
- Viewing analytics across all state courts or in one particular court
Lex Machina helps you answer questions such as:
- What is the median time to trial and time to termination for cases with Judge Partnow presiding?
- Has an opposing attorney ever appeared in a case before Judge Baily-Schiffman? If so, how many were class action cases, and how many went to trial?
- How many Torts cases have been awarded damages by a jury verdict? Which cases are those and what were the damages in each case?
- How many Commercial Division cases have been filed in the past five years?
Unique Kings County Litigation Data
Lex Machina allows users to filter by the following information in order to find the most relevant cases:
- Case Types – Commercial, Commercial Division, Employment / Labor Law, Real Property, Tax Certiorari, Torts, Emergency Applications re: Coronavirus, Other Matters, Special Proceedings
- Case Tags – Pre-RJI, Post-RJI, Class Action
- Document Tags – Complaint, Answer, Judgment, Jury Verdict, Request for Judicial Intervention, Notice of Entry, Note of Issue: With Jury, Note of Issue: Without Jury, Order re: Recusal
- Trial Damages – General Damages (Judgment on the Merits), General Damages (Jury Verdict), Attorneys’ Fees / Costs
- Trial Rulings – Bench Trial, Jury Verdict, Default Judgment, Other Judgment
- Trial Resolutions – Plaintiff Win, Defendant Win, Likely Settlement, Procedural