On September 15, 2022, Above the Law hosted a webinar featuring Lex Machina’s Legal Analytics for Appeals. The webcast featured veteran legal journalist and award-winning blogger/podcaster Bob Ambrogi and Lex Machina’s Anne Wise Kann (Appeals Product Manager).
Some of the discussion topics included:
- Why having outcome analytics tells the full story of a case through appeal
- Analyzing insights on judges, counsel, and parties involved in appeals
- Understanding reversal rates and appellate resolutions to inform your case strategy
- How analytics can tout your firm’s record and help you win new business
- Recent trends facing appellate practice groups
Once Anne presented the Appeals module and its capabilities to the audience, Bob remarked, “I’m fascinated in the whole area of using analytics, both in trial practice and in appellate practice. And the fact that you have these reversal rates is really interesting also. I’ve seen attempts to track these over the years and some have been better than others, but this looks to be far more exhaustive than anything I’ve seen before.”
Regarding what an attorney can do with this information, Anne explained, “Reversal rates can show you how likely you are to get to the outcome you want if you appeal an order entered by a certain judge. The rate can be manipulated using any of our data points in the filter, so time period, case type, judgment event can be used to get as specific as you want. When you are satisfied with the criteria that you’ve set up, you get a clear number of past behavior indicators to determine the percent chance of getting this decision reversed.”
Watch a recording of the webcast or read the transcript.