The Lex Machina team is excited to launch enhanced Legal Analytics for 26 Georgia state courts including the state courts and superior courts in Gwinnett County and Chatham County (the “Georgia Courts”). The Georgia Courts cover large swathes of the Atlanta and Savannah metropolitan areas, both of which are major commercial and cultural epicenters in which a combined total of over 6.5 million citizens reside and conduct business.
With the addition of the new Georgia Courts, Lex Machina now includes over 360,000 civil cases filed in Georgia courts that serve a majority of the population of Georgia. These are significant venues for state court litigation in Georgia, particularly for cases involving torts, contracts, property, and other civil matters.
Lex Machina provides valuable data-driven insights about judges, law firms, individual attorneys, and parties in state courts. The Georgia Courts incorporate notable features such as filters for trial rulings, trial resolutions, and trial damages. It also incorporates an extensive collection of case types and document tags, including document tags for jury verdicts, complaints, answers, judgments, and orders re: summary judgment. Additionally, litigators can now use our States filter to conduct state-wide searches and get quantified, state-specific insights about judges, courts, law firms, attorneys, and parties. The inclusion of these unique parameters enables users to find the most relevant information and analytics quickly and easily.
With our new Georgia Courts module, you can quickly and efficiently discover insights such as:
- The total damages awarded at trial, excluding attorneys’ fees, was $1.9 billion.
- The judge with the highest number of cases in Chatham County State Court is Judge Gregory V Sapp (currently at 4,492 cases).
- The number of cases filed in 2022 was 32,205.
- The median time to trial (currently at 3,343 cases) was 519 days.
Lex Machina allows users to filter in order to find the most relevant cases with filters that include the following:
- Document Tags – Order re: Summary Judgment, Jury Verdict, Complaint, Answer, Judgment
- Trial Damages – General Damages (Judgment on the Merits), General Damages (Jury Verdict), Attorneys’ Fees / Costs
- Trial Rulings – Bench Trial, Jury Verdict, Consent Judgment, Default Judgment, Other Judgment
- Trial Resolutions – Plaintiff Win, Defendant Win, Likely Settlement, Procedural
Lex Machina gathers raw information from state court cases, including downloading millions of state court documents, to present the most comprehensive and accurate data possible. Both new and existing Legal Analytics users will appreciate the easy-to-use interface that lets them access a wealth of new state court features including:
- Understanding timing to key litigation milestones
- Analyzing the record of a specific judge, law firm, attorney, or party
- Reviewing previous trial resolutions, trial damages, and trial rulings for case strategy
- Court-specific filters such as case types and case tags
- Keyword searching within docket entry text and downloaded documents
- Viewing analytics across all state courts or in one particular court
The release of the Georgia Courts nearly doubles the number of our current state courts. We are proud to reach this important milestone in our state court journey.
Depending on your subscription, users can access the Georgia Courts data now.
To learn more, contact our sales team.