The Lex Machina team is excited to launch the first phase of our Legal Analytics for real property litigation. This first phase covers foreclosure cases filed in federal courts. The remainder of the real property practice area will include cases pertaining to rent/lease/ejectment, torts to land, and land condemnation (the “Real Property Module”), and will be released in full in 2023. Today, Lex Machina is proud to release all of the cases under the Foreclosure case tag, which includes cases in which a mortgagor, mortgagee, and/or interested party is litigating respective rights to a mortgaged real property and/or whether it is subject to foreclosure (the “Foreclosure Cases”).
Consisting of over 62,000 cases, the new Foreclosure Cases gives practitioners critical insights on judges, courts, law firms, attorneys, and parties involved in real property litigation involving foreclosures filed in federal courts.
The Real Property Module incorporates the case tag filter for cases involving foreclosures. It also incorporates an extensive collection of practice area-specific remedies, damages, and findings. The inclusion of these unique parameters enables users to find the most relevant information and analytics quickly and easily.
With our new Foreclosure Cases, you can quickly and efficiently discover insights such as:
- The highest number of cases was filed in the Central District of California.
- Claimants won 2.2 times as often as claim defendants.
- Most active plaintiffs included Deutsche Bank National Trust Company, U.S. Bank National Association, and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- Locke Lord was the most active law firm representing defendants.
- The median time to termination was 178 days.
- Courts found No Wrongful Foreclosure the majority of the time, primarily at judgment on the pleadings and summary judgment.
- The total amount of real property damages awarded in the ten-year period from 2012 to 2021, excluding attorneys’ fees, was $3.9 billion.
Lex Machina allows users to filter by a multitude of parameters, including the following, in order to find the most relevant cases:
Case Tags – Foreclosure
Remedies – Reformation, Rescission
Damages – Actual Damages (Real Property), Contract Damage (Real Property), Punitive Damages (Real Property), Restitution (Real Property), Settled Claim Damages (Real Property)
Findings – Breach of Contract, Foreclosure Granted, Fraud / Misrepresentation
Be sure to read our first-ever Real Property (Foreclosures) White Paper, released today.
Depending on your subscription, users can access the analytics on Foreclosure Cases now.
To learn more, contact our sales team.