The Lex Machina team is excited to launch new and enhanced Legal Analytics for litigation involving real property (the “Real Property Module”). Real property litigation includes any case involving a dispute concerning real property. Note that this Case Type does not include claims pertaining to chattels and personal property, statutory claims, or claims involving purchase agreements not involving mortgages.
Now consisting of over 100,000 cases, the new expanded Real Property Module gives practitioners critical insights on judges, courts, law firms, attorneys, and parties involved in real property.
The Real Property Module incorporates case tag filters for cases involving foreclosures, land condemnation, rent/lease/ejectment, and torts to land. It also incorporates an extensive collection of practice area-specific damages and findings. The inclusion of these unique parameters enables users to find the most relevant information and analytics quickly and easily.
With our new Real Property Module, you can quickly and efficiently discover insights such as:
- The Central District of California had the highest number of cases filed involving rent/lease/ejectment claims.
- For cases involving torts to land claims, claim defendants won 1.8 times as often as claimants.
- Most active defendants in real property cases included financial institutions such as Bank of America, N.A., Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Aside from the Department of Justice, Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr was the most active law firm representing defendants in cases with land condemnation claims.
- The median time to termination for real property cases involving foreclosures was 183 days.
- The total amount of real property damages awarded in the ten-year period from 2013 to 2022, excluding attorneys’ fees, was $4.2 billion.
In order to find the most relevant cases, Lex Machina allows users to filter by information including the following:
Case Tags – Foreclosure, Land Condemnation, Rent / Lease / Ejectment, Torts to Land
Damages – Contract Damages (Real Property), Restitution (Real Property), Punitive Damages (Real Property), Settled Claim Damages (Real Property), Nominal Damages (Real Property), Compensatory Damages (Real Property), Special Damages, Just Compensation
Remedies – Reformation, Rescission
Findings – Foreclosure, Lease, and Condemnation: Foreclosure Granted, Standing to Foreclose, Wrongful Foreclosure, Superior Lien, Valid Lien, Ejectment / Eviction, Wrongful Ejectment / Eviction, Condemnation Granted, Inverse Condemnation / Taking, Standing / Ripeness, Just Compensation Provided, Just Compensation Adjusted
Contracts: Breach of Contract, Unjust Enrichment, Contract Existence, Contract Termination
Torts: Fraud / Misrepresentation, Negligence, Nuisance, Trespass to Land, Strict Liability, Slander of Title, Tort Defense
Other Real Property Findings: Quiet Title, Adverse Possession / Prescriptive Easement, Breach of Covenant, Trespass to Try Title, Other Declaratory Judgment Granted, Time-Barred Defense
Depending on your subscription, users can access the Real Property Module data now.
To learn more, contact our sales team.