The Lex Machina team is proud to have released Legal Analytics for New Castle County Superior Court, Sussex County Superior Court, and Kent County Superior Court (the “Delaware Courts”). These courts cover all of Delaware in which approximately 1 million citizens reside and conduct business. Including a total of approximately 45,000 civil court cases filed January 2016 or later, this is an important venue for state court litigation. It’s a key court for civil cases involving torts, real property, and other civil matters.
Lex Machina provides valuable data-driven insights about judges, law firms, individual attorneys, and parties in state courts. In addition, the Delaware Courts incorporate an extensive collection of case types and document tags. The inclusion of these unique parameters enables users to find the most relevant information and analytics quickly and easily.
With our new Delaware Courts, you can quickly and efficiently discover insights such as:
- The total damages awarded at trial, including attorneys’ fees, was $47,579,333
- The judge with the highest number of cases is Judge Andrea M. Freud from Kent County Superior Court (currently at 5,020 cases)
- 56 cases resulted in a jury verdict ruling
- In 2020, 5,884 total cases were filed
- In the Delaware Courts, the median time to trial (for 103 cases) was 680 days, and the median time to termination (for 37,078 cases) was 245 days
Lex Machina allows users to filter Delaware Court cases by the following information in order to find the most relevant cases:
Case Types – Appeal / Judicial Review, Appealed from Lower Courts, Contract, Other Civil, Real Property, Torts (Legal Malpractice), Torts (Medical Malpractice), Torts (Non-Vehicle), Torts (Products Liability), and Torts (Vehicle)
Additional Case Types for New Castle County – Asbestos, Commercial, and Torts (Mass)
Document Tags – Answer, Brief, Certificate of Service, Complaint, Exhibit, Judgment, Letter, Motion, Opinion, Order, Proposed Order, Reply / Response, Transcript
Trial Damages – General Damages (Judgment on the Merits), General Damages (Jury Verdict), Attorneys’ Fees / Costs
Trial Rulings – Bench Trial, Jury Verdict, Default Judgment
Lex Machina gathers raw information from state court cases, including downloading millions of state court documents, to present the most comprehensive and accurate data possible. Both new and existing Legal Analytics users will appreciate the easy-to-use interface that lets them access a wealth of new state court features including:
- Understanding timing to key litigation milestones
- Analyzing the record of a specific judge, law firm, attorney, or party
- Reviewing previous trial resolutions, trial damages, and trial rulings for case strategy
- Court-specific filters such as case types and case tags
- Keyword searching within docket entry text and downloaded documents
- Viewing analytics across all state courts or in one particular court
The introduction of these new state court modules expands Lex Machina coverage to twenty-six state courts, which is an exciting milestone in accomplishing the company’s mission of bringing Legal Analytics to all areas of the law.
Depending on your subscription, users can access Delaware Courts data now.
To learn more, contact our sales team.