The Lex Machina team is proud to have released Legal Analytics for King County Superior Court (“King County”). King County is the most populous county in Washington State and the 12th most populous in the United States, serving a population of over 2.2 million citizens. It is the county seat of Seattle, the largest city in the Pacific Northwest and major commercial and cultural epicenter. Including a total of approximately 70,000 civil court cases filed January 2016 or later, this is an important venue for state court litigation. It’s a key court for civil cases involving contracts, torts, and other civil matters.
Lex Machina provides valuable data-driven insights about judges, law firms, individual attorneys, and parties in state courts. In addition, the King County state court module incorporates notable features such as a filter for collections cases. It also incorporates an extensive collection of case types and document tags. The inclusion of these unique parameters enables users to find the most relevant information and analytics quickly and easily.
With our new King County state court module, you can quickly and efficiently discover insights such as:
- The total damages awarded at trial, including attorneys’ fees, was $356,757,636
- The judge with the highest number of cases is Judge Henry Judson (currently at 1,261 cases)
- 291 cases resulted in a jury verdict ruling
- In 2020, 9,932 total cases were filed
- In King County, the median time to trial (for 611 cases) was 459 days, and the median time to termination (for 55,673 cases) was 188 days
Lex Machina allows users to filter King County cases by the following information in order to find the most relevant cases:
Case Types – Appeal / Judicial Review, Asbestos, Contract / Commercial, Medical Malpractice, Property Rights, Torts (Non-Vehicle), Torts (Vehicle), Other Complaint / Petition
Case Tags – Collections
Document Tags – Jury Verdict, Complaint, Answer, Judgment
Trial Damages – General Damages (Judgment on the Merits), General Damages (Jury Verdict), Attorneys’ Fees / Costs
Trial Rulings – Bench Trial, Jury Verdict, Default Judgment, Other Judgment
Trial Resolutions – Plaintiff Win, Defendant Win, Likely Settlement
Lex Machina gathers raw information from state court cases, including downloading millions of state court documents, to present the most comprehensive and accurate data possible. Both new and existing Legal Analytics users will appreciate the easy-to-use interface that lets them access a wealth of new state court features including:
- Understanding timing to key litigation milestones
- Analyzing the record of a specific judge, law firm, attorney, or party
- Reviewing previous trial resolutions, trial damages, and trial rulings for case strategy
- Court-specific filters such as case types and case tags
- Keyword searching within docket entry text and downloaded documents
- Viewing analytics across all state courts or in one particular court
The introduction of this new state court module expands Lex Machina coverage to twenty-six state courts, which is an exciting milestone in accomplishing the company’s mission of bringing Legal Analytics to all areas of the law.
Depending on your subscription, users can access King County data now.
To learn more, contact our sales team.